Sunday, April 9, 2017

Another Sunday Spider Story...!



Once again today we look at one more horror story brought to us from Mother Nature. She has a way of hiding these little jewels all over the place.

Trogloraptor

trogloraptor
 
 
Not since 1890 has a newly discovered spider in America required a new genus, family, and species to classify it. Meet the trogloraptor, living proof that there are very few places on land, regardless of condition, that a spider cannot call home. This handsome guy was discovered in late summer 2012 living in cave systems in Oregon.

This spider, unlike any other, has special serrated talons at the end of each arm. This trait is where it gets its charming name, which means “cave robber.” When it was found, it was using these talon arms to suspend itself from the cave ceiling by a strand of its own silk.

As of now, there are theories that it could be a relative to the goblin spider, but very little so far is known about these cave dwellers. Attempts to feed the captured specimens have failed, showing that they prefer a specific diet. This spider is so alien to us that even what they eat remains a mystery.

Remind me not to go prowling around any caves if I ever visit Oregon. It would be my luck that this bad boy would find me to be his dream of a perfect meal!

Coffee out on the patio again today.

3 comments:

Momlady said...

I'm with you, HJ. No crawling around caves for me. Besides, I'm a bit claustrophobic.

HermitJim said...

Hey Momlady...
Being in tight, dark places isn't my idea of a good time. I'd rather be out in the sun, ya know?
Thanks so much for stopping by today!

JO said...

Pretty color other than that I don't think I need to see one up close.

Nice morning here if the wind stays away sitting on the patio sounds nice for coffee